Work & Travel USA is an exchange visitor program that gives you the opportunity to work and travel in the United States. as a college or university student this is a great way to make some money to help finance your education. In most cases you are able to make enough money to cover your tuition fee and cover the money your spent on the programme fee. Work and Travel USA Local Agencies in Jamaica includes:
- JOYST Youth Exchange International Limited
Students Work and Travel (SWAT)
Explore Your World
The programme fee is generally very high, on average it varies from US$750.00 to as much as US$1500.00. Remember to check the different agencies and do a comparison to find the best fee, as some are cheaper than others. At some jobs it is possible to make back your program fee in a few weeks and the program generally last for 4 months. You can do the maths.
In many cases however, the local agency may give you the choice of finding your own work and travel job. In this case the program fee is generally lower than if you have them find the job for you. Many students choose to find their own job because it gives them the most flexibility in terms of location and type of job. Flexibility also includes:
- You reduce the amount of money you have to pay to the agency.This is good especially if you are on a tight budget.
- The minimum wage vary across states, some states pay better than others.Depending on the State, your hourly rate can vary from US$5.50 to US$10.00 an hour!
- Some jobs offer accommodation and food. So you get to save money on both.
- You want to find your own job close to or in a city so you can explore the country when you have the time. When an agency choose a job for you, you have limited option, and can end up in an isolated area far from any major city for 4 months.
- You have family or relatives that are able to get you a good paying job.
- You have family in a particular state you might want to go there so you can save on rent.
How to you get started in finding your own work and travel USA job?
- check out their Facebook page for regular updates on new jobs https://www.facebook.com/Get.J1.Jobs
Other websites that may be helpful are listed below. When you are searching search for J1 jobs:
Once you have a confirmation from an employer, make sure you get a signed contract. You can have them fax it to your agency you are using or it can be scanned and sent by email. Don’t accept a contract with less than 35 hours per week and make sure that the salary is agreeable to you.
Have any questions? Send us a message and we will be happy to help you.